Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Dec 17 Share your Favorite Christmas Carol


Dec. 17- Share on blog, Facebook, email, etc. your favorite Christmas Carol and tell why it’s your favorite.

This was really hard for me because I love Christmas music.  Todd's brother who would listen to it year round, but his family objects once said, "I love Christmas Music because it is always positive and not offensive in any way".  I think that is because of the Spirit of Christmas, it is reflected in the music.  

One of my favorite, which we don't sing near enough (Todd complains about it every year), although we did sing it a week ago at church is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".  

A member in our ward told the story about how this was written.  It was written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  After his wife had died tragically after her dress caught on fire while cooking and then his son was paralyzed fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War. 

On Christmas day, 1861 he penned the poem "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".  He shows us that even in despair and heartbreak "God is not dead, nor doth he sleep".
 

And in despair I bowed my head;
“There is no peace on earth,” I said;
“For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!”
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men.”

10 comments:



  1. Crystal Lyle-Soderquist
    December 18 at 7:01am · Add Topics

    I'm late but I love most all Christmas songs- but one of my all time favorites is Mary Did You Know!

    ReplyDelete


  2. Danni Lyle shared a link.
    December 22 at 8:47am · Add Topics
    So I listened to this song last night.. cried like a little baby but suuuuch a good song! πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0yFXfAGl17M&h=ATOkClbiRUgqNbWuzZpN8rMoj9tVIcsGOfg-Em3jBByvKSBKAcic_Vjdt3R-kZ-hG4gHXh_qmE8kpWbIEKtPq1NZUYpbtEqK8wUhACAdP_DqkNvjSE08ugwCwO6-5aJ0Wifdn8pNOSkA8J9LhLcyNru6wvgmiA46ATpWzgN7rjObWZicjgEXwZy-qgMV6qp11pUpKKCtmw8klWAKtvp809QiducZ6qwo_A3pkJZab56u12pt3WTX38VefjCRRXcMAZJQssXATqR3oGm7jqdjFaoKLm2W

      Delete


  3. Ashlee Kae Murray
    December 17 at 10:55pm · Add Topics
    My favorite Christmas song is Christmas in Heaven because it really gets me thinking!

    ReplyDelete


  4. Konie Murray shared a link.
    December 17 at 10:53pm · Add Topics
    Murray Family Light the World
    DAY 16 - Favorite Christmas Song
    What CHild is This

    ReplyDelete


  5. Kilee Lindley Nilsson
    December 17 at 10:50pm · Add Topics
    I LOVE all Christmas music!! But my favorites are "Christmas in Heaven" and "Let it be Christmas". Christmas in heaven really gets me thinking about what Christmas is like there and what are loved ones are doing at this time!

    ReplyDelete


  6. Haley Murray Crane
    December 17 at 10:33pm · Add Topics
    Andrew Crane said his favorite carol is O Holy Night by Andy Williams and he likes the lyrics. Mine is O Come, O Come Emmanuel because of its message to rejoice in Christ's coming.

    ReplyDelete


  7. Janice Murray Nelson
    December 17 at 10:04pm · Add Topics
    My two favorite carols are Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas and Oh Holy Night. The first one because of the words through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow. Because I hope to be with my family always at Christmas. The second one because of the words...a thrill of hope the weary world rejoices. ......fall on your knees....Oh night divine.

    ReplyDelete


  8. Nedra Murray Lindley
    December 17 at 9:36pm · Add Topics
    One of my favorites is “I’ll have a blue Christmas without you” but April would think it is “Silver and Gold” since I sing it to her every time I get my nails done 😳 there is really no Christmas song that I don’t love singing and I love to sing them all ❤️

    ReplyDelete


  9. Karen Lyle
    December 17 at 8:35pm · Add Topics
    My favorite carol is: Mary's Little Boy Child. I love the music and the message. Yvonne Jessop sang this and I have loved it since.



    ReplyDelete